I am a PhD student in the Science, Technology and Environmental Policy (STEP) Program at Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs, Princeton University. I work with Professor Denise Mauzerall.
I use both quantitative (e.g. air quality modeling, bottom-up energy consumption models, health impact assessment) and qualitative (comparative case study) approaches to evaluate the air quality, climate, and industrial growth co-benefits of policies that facilitate China's low-carbon energy transition. In particular, my first research project focuses on the greenhouse gas mitigation, air quality, and related human health benefits of various solar photovoltaic (PV) deployment scenarios in 2030 China. My second research project focuses on quantifying the climate and air quality implications of residential heating electrification in China's Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region. The third project compares various market-promoting policies in China's wind, solar PV, and battery energy storage sectors and aims to identify the common features from these policies that promote China's clean energy innovation and manufacturing development.
Before coming to Princeton, I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Science and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Peking University, China. I worked with Professor Tong Zhu and wrote my thesis on the associations between chemical compositions of fine particulate matter and in vitro cell oxidative stress level.
1. Yang J, Li X, Peng W, Wagner F, Mauzerall DL. Climate, air quality and human health benefits of various solar photovoltaic deployment scenarios in China in 2030. Submitted to Environmental Research Letters.
2. Peng W, Yang J, Lu X, Mauzerall DL. Potential co-benefits of electrification for air quality, health, and CO2 mitigation in 2030 China. Applied Energy (In Press).
3. Peng W, Yang J, Wagner F, Mauzerall DL. Substantial air quality and climate co-benefits achievable now with sectoral mitigation strategies in China. Science of the Total Environment. 598, 1076-1084, Nov 15, 2017.
4. Li X, Wagner F, Peng W, Yang J, Mauzerall DL. Reduction of solar photovoltaic resources due to air pollution in China. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 114 (45), 11867-11872, Oct 24, 2017.
5. Qin Y, Wagner F, Scovronick N, Peng W, Yang J, Zhu T, Smith KR, Mauzerall DL. Air quality, health, and climate implications of China’s synthetic natural gas development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 114 (19), 4887-92. May 9, 2017.
6. Guan T, Yao M, Wang J, Fang Y, Hu S, Wang Y, Dutta A, Yang J, Wu Y, Hu M, Zhu T. Airborne endotoxin in fine particulate matter in Beijing. Atmospheric Environment. 97:35-42, Nov 1, 2014.